Wilderness Southeast | Savannah, Georgia
Spend a few hours or a whole day discovering Coastal Georgia wildlife with a Wilderness Southeast natural tour. From birding to beachcombing, Wilderness Southeast’s expert naturalist guides will help you explore the natural history of Georgia’s coast.
There are numerous tours to walk, paddle or boat. You have a choice of excursions to the beach, rivers, swamps, marshes, estuary, and maritime forests of the area. Sites include Savannah, Wassaw, Harris Neck, and Blackbeard National Wildlife Refuge, Tybee Island, Skidaway Island, Ft. MacAllister State Park, the Savannah River, Ebenezer Creek, and more.
Private, personalized tours can be customized for your interests and itinerary. If you don’t mind sharing your naturalist guide with others, check out Wilderness Southeast’s weekend schedule of nature tours.
- Wild Island Explorations – Explore the wide, empty beaches and sculpted dunes of islands without bridges. A full day tour lets you choose Wassaw Island National Wildlife Refuge or Ossabaw Island.
- Salt Marsh Walk – Learn the fascinating inner workings of this rich natural resource that protects our shores and supports the seafood industry and beyond.
- The Forest Fringe – Amble the trails in lush maritime forests, hearing stories about native species, such as live oaks, magnolias and palmettos.
- Beaches and Borders – Life in the zone between all fresh and all salt requires interesting adaptations. Find out how the very many life forms in the estuary survive.
- Native Plants – Learn about the historical and current uses of edible, medicinal and otherwise useful native plants.
- The Urban Forest – Wander through the lovely parks of downtown Savannah to discover its tree canopy, which provides shade, textural diversity, and homes for wildlife.
- Alligators and Anhingas – Observe alligators, egrets, anhingas and more in the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge.
- Birding – Birding programs are available for everyone from the novice to the serious birder.
- River Swamps and Reptiles – Walk paths and boardwalks among the trunks and knees of the oft-flooded forest; learn habits and habitats of reptiles and other residents.
- Blackwater River Float – Paddle serene rivers or creeks to learn why this clean, clear water is black, and stop to swim from a sandbar or two along the way.
- Explore the Night Sky – Observe celestial objects with an 8” reflector telescope while you hear stories of the stars. Learn about black holes and other phenomena of the universe.
Your exploration will start at the site you choose. You will be provided with detailed directions to the site, where your naturalist guide will meet you.
A pioneer in nature tours since 1973, Wilderness Southeast offers a unique interpretive style to guide you in understanding and appreciating the natural communities of the Georgia coast.
Tagged with: Natural Area Tours in Georgia
Seemingly barren expanses of grass and mud, at first glance salt marshes appear like wastelands. Look again. The grass fields like those along the Georgia Coast give untold benefits to nature and man.