Banks County Visitors Center | Homer, Georgia
Homer GA 30547
The original two-story antebellum county courthouse in Homer is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Construction took years to complete after the sale of property given to the county by William Turk raised $6600 to start the building. Using slave labor and bricks from clay dug near the Hudson River, the project slowed during the Civil War as funds ran low. The courthouse wasn’t completed until 1870. It was in use as the county courthouse until 1988 and today it serves as a museum and office space for the chamber of commerce.